Sunday, April 26, 2009

Swine Flu Outbreak

     What is this swine flu that is going around? Well, basically, it is a respiratory illness that is found in pigs. How does a human get affected by it? Right now, no one knows.

     Last week, my son got sick out of the blue. We figured, he probably got too hot and and that was that. A few days later, my eldest daughter got sick. She was sent home from school. I thought maybe she was going to be starting her adolescent years. She had the symptoms of PMS. But when I looked on cnn.com, I found out there was a nasty bug going around. It was called the swine flu. So I called the doctor right away but her doctor wasn't in. And the only time they could give me was at 2 p.m. Since I was pressed for time, I had to  make a decision weather to bring her to the doctor or be late in picking up the other kids, I chose to pick up the kids in school and observe my daughter. As luck would have it, she got better in 24 hrs.

     Today, however, granted that she is doing better, the prognosis on cnn was not so great. This is what I read... "US Declares Public Health Emergency over Swine Flu." Great! 20 confirmed cases in the US and 7 of them are in San Diego, Ca. Mexico has over 300 confirmed human cases and 80 dead but it is not clear yet if it is connected to the flu.

     According to the CDC, it is a srtrain of 4 mutated genes found in Influenza A. As long as it continues to affect humans, it can mutate some more and not work with antibiotics. But from what I have read too, no one in the US have died. They have all recovered.

     They expect to see more numbers in the coming days. So please, don't go to Mexico right now because it seems that it is coming from there.

No comments: